I hope everybody is now enjoying the holidays, whether because you're no longer having to go to school, you're off on holiday somewhere, or simply because you are making the most of the reduction in traffic on your daily commute!
Highlights in July for the Club were our annual Summer Evening 10k on Wednesday 5th and the BBQ on Tuesday 18th.
For the 25th running of the Summer Evening 10k, we had record entries, a record number of finishers and new course records for both the ladies (Georgie Bruinvels in 36:57) and the men (Phil Wicks in 31:32). The weather also smiled on us, although we did have a few comments about it being too hot!
We also welcomed the Milan family to the race, which was our memorial for former member and Race Director, Chris Milan. Jane Milan presented all the prizes, including the special memorial trophies for 1st lady and 1st man.
My thanks to all members and friends who volunteered either before the race or on the night to allow the event to run smoothly, but especially to Wayne Chappell (Race Director) and Moray Carey (Race Consultant).
The Barbecue had to be delayed by 1 week because of excavations in front of the container and the torrential rain (what a difference to the previous week!). Although I wasn't able to be there for the rearranged evening, I gather it was a great success (and this time the weather was also good). Thanks to our chefs, Aoife Kehoe, Lynn Box & Ian Edmonds.
August is a very quiet month for the juniors, because of the school holidays, but the seniors have a number of events coming up in both August and September. Juniors who may be considering running the Run Reigate Kids Race on 17th September should however see the discount offer described below.
- There will be no senior training at Battlebridge on Tuesday 1st August. Instead everybody is invited to run in the MABAC 5 mile cross-country race at Wimbledon Common, start is at 7.30 pm. See the e-mail from our MABAC coordinators (Claire, Liz, Ian & Michael) for full details, please reply to them (see e-mail version of this update for their e-mail address) if you want to car share or need a lift back from Wimbledon after the race.
- The final race in the Surrey Road League is the Wimbledon Dash 5k on Sunday 13th August. After 6 of the 7 races, the men are tied with Ranelagh Harriers for the overall team competition, so the final result depends totally on how well we perform in the 5k. We therefore need all our fastest men to run if at all possible, but there are under 50 places left - details and entries are here.
- The Surrey Road Relays are on Saturday 2nd September, starting at 12 noon. This is also the Surrey County Championships. We can enter as many teams as we need and everybody is welcome to run - times for the 2.9 mile course range from under 14 minutes to over 34, so it is fully inclusive! The ladies have already received an e-mail from Nat about this race, the men will receive an e-mail from Steve shortly (or see the Teamer invite).
- Please note that, because of the clash with the Surrey Road Relays, the early September Grand Prix race has been switched from the Priory Parkrun to the Surrey Road Relays (see above).
- Finally, the Run Reigate Half Marathon on Sunday 17th September is our Club Championship and the final race in the 2017 Grand Prix. Run Reigate are offering all RPAC members a 10% discount on entry, see the e-mail version of this update for details of how to receive this discount. Run Reigate would appreciate entries to be made by the 9th August if possible though.
The next RPAC organised race is the Surrey League Cross-Country fixture on Saturday 14th October in Priory Park. This is a joint ladies and mens fixture, so all our cross-country runners (juniors and seniors) will be running. We will obviously need a large number of volunteers to help organise this event, look out for an e-mail from Race Director Ian Thomas closer to the date.
Before then however, Run Reigate are looking for more volunteers to help them stage their Half Marathon, 10k and Kids Race on Sunday 17th September. If you are interested in helping, please see their volunteer flyer and contact them direct. Please note that Run Reigate help us with publicity and assistance on the night for our Summer Evening 10k, so any reciprocal assistance we can give them would be welcome.
Events for Club Members
On the evening of Wednesday 2nd August, there is a "Brooks try a pair of trainers 5k Run" in Priory Park. Full details are available on the club noticeboard.
Summary minutes from the June Committee meeting are available here (you need to be logged into the website to open this).