Following the discussions at the AGM, a working party was established to review the arrangements for our club competitions. Thank you to Tom and Nat, and Claire, Gavin, Gillian, Ginevra, Mike, Paddy, Paul and Rick for your input in pulling all this together.
As a result of our deliberations I am delighted to announce that 2020 will see the revival of the Club Grand Prix as well as a revamped Club Championship series, the continuation of the Jimmy James Handicap run in conjunction with DMVAC, and a brand new Age Graded Challenge competition.
The Club Championships will comprise the following events, subject to confirmation that there are no calendar clashes with Surrey Road league and other competitions
- Half Marathon - Wokingham - 23rd February Please note that this takes event sells out quickly so you will need to enter soon if you plan to participate.
- 10 mile road race - Dorking 10 - 7th June
- 10K road race - Brighton 10K - 15th November (Richmond 10K 21st June as a backup)
- 1 mile track race - venue and date TBC but either run by SLH or Epsom and Ewell Harriers
- 5K track race - venue and data TBC but run by SLH, with the Ed Prickett 5000m as a potential backup
We have decided not to award runners up medals for the Championship races, however the names of the runners up will still be recorded on the website and read out at the awards evening.
We also agreed to try to give more publicity to Championship races and to look to lay on minibus transport to some of the more distant events.
The Grand Prix will be organised along similar lines to how it has been in the past. Runners will be arranged in 4 or 5 divisions according to their speed. Their best 5 results from the following fixtures will score points.
- MABAC Windsor Great Park - 12th January
- Worthing Parkrun (Club Tourism) - 28th March
- YMCA 5 mile - 3rd May (top two divisions may run Sutton 10K in the event of a clash with the Richmond Half Marathon)
- Dorking 10 - 7th June
- Elmore 7 - 18th July TBC (top two divisions will run Elmbridge 10K in the event of a clash)
- MABAC Wimbledon Common - 4th August /MABAC Nonsuch Park 25th October TBC - the decision will be based on how RPAC is doing in the league!
- Reigate Half Marathon - 20th September
- 3000m Battlebridge - date TBC
- 800m Battlebridge (this may be run on the evening of the club BBQ - TBC)
Also on the evening of the club BBQ there will be a relay race with teams comprised of one runner from each division (names to be pulled out of a hat) with prizes for the winning team. This will not count towards the Grand Prix
The top scorer from each division (apart from Div 1) will be promoted at the end of the season and the lowest scorer will be relegated (apart from in the lowest division).
Age Graded Challenge Competition
Brand new for 2020 will be an age graded competition. Runners can enter age grading from any race of a standard distance (e.g. 5K, 10K, Half Marathon, etc., but not the Elmore 7 or the Cranleigh 15/21 for example). This includes Parkruns and anything that appears on Power of 10. If not officially calculated by the race organisers, your age grading can be calculated by using the WMA calculator (details of how to calculate an age graded score will be sent out separately). Every runner can enter as many results as they like, but only their highest score will count. The person with the highest age graded score at the end of the season will win an award.
Jimmy James Handicap
We plan to continue the current arrangement with DMVAC for the Jimmy James Handicap - assuming they are still happy to have us!
We will also think about whether to hold a Summer Handicap series in Priory Park over the Summer months.
Please let me know if you have any questions.